Welcome to the Washington State Child Care Basic!
We are excited to journey with you as you begin your career in the field of early childhood education.
Here is the link to register with MERIT and attain your STAR’s number. You will need this before you finish. Once you pass the final quiz, we can then register your completion in MERIT.
Required reading and resources are available in Materials. Required reading will be available throughout the course.
- Great resource for child care providers on family engagementhttp://www.barnardos.ie/assets/files/publications/free/parental_involvement.pdf
- NAEYC’s position statement of diversity: http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/diversity.pdf.
- Washington State Family Home Child Care Licensing Guide (2nd ed., DEL, 2013)
- NAEYC Anti-Discrimination Statement found at www.naeyc.org/positionstatements/anti-discrimination-position-statement Anti-bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves by Louise Derman Sparks.
- Resource list and books on diversity: del.wa.gov/kids/readingcorner.aspx
- A Cross-Cultural Competence Video Library.” Link to products: http://products.brookespublishing.com/Cultural-Diversity-C1021.aspx
- “Inclusion in Education”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfUqd1fTtgM.
- "Supporting Cultural and Linguistic Diversity in Early Intervention and Early Childhood Special Education: A Cross-Cultural Competence Video Library": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWg-ZrV3wPk
- Foundational Quality Standards for Early Learning Programs (2019): Section 106 (“Training requirements“); Section 107 (“In-service training.”), and Section 100 (“General staff qualifications”). Online at: https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=110-300
Outcome B: Section 005 (“Definitions”), and Section 0425 (“Initial, nonexpiring, dual licenses, and license modification.”)
Online at: https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=110-300
Outcome C: Section 460 (“Child records”), Section 465 (“Retaining facility and program records”), Section 505 (“Postings”) Online at: https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=110-300
- Videos supporting this Module
1. A five minute video clip focusing on helping family home child care providers write their mission statement can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ak710tUCM
2. A brief video clip that demonstrates feelings about maintaining confidentiality in the human services field including child care, can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKGtJE84wIQ&list=PL1D8D80AFBD47B8B7&index=2
3. “Innovation in Washington State,” a video by Harvard Center. The science of early childhood development shows that investing in quality early learning and social and health programs yields healthy and capable children, strengthens families, and supports economic stability. Washington State has been chosen as the first state in the nation to collaborate with the Frontiers of Innovation (FOI) community to improve outcomes for vulnerable children and families. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyIVkOFPQfQ
4. The Heart of a Teacher by Paula Fox, an inspirational video for teachers: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDVECWcYtjc.